Friday, September 18, 2009

London is your oyster

Well, it's open tomorrow and Sunday. I use it as an opportunity to poke into the little places close to home. Hopefully no queues then. Hackney has some great green design homes and offices that are open. There's nothing like going poking around places where people actually work or live for a bit of fun.

One special place that I ran across last year was the Hoxton Hall on Hoxton Street. I'd walked past it for months, popping in, I was quite surprised to find 3 tiers of seating looking down at a quaint little stage. It's available to hire for parties, and I would have loved to have my wedding there. It only holds 100 people tops these days, for fire regulations. But in the past, when fire regs were much more relaxed, it held up to 1000 people. Yup! an order of magnitude more people. Squeezed through that little inconspicuous door on Hoxton Street and I dreamed of the past, a good 30 minutes of my time well spent.

I also popped into my local library to pick up a free paper copy of the booklet for Open London. You might want to too.

No comments:

Post a Comment