Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Hoxton Street: A slice of life EastEnder's style

I really love walking down Hoxton Street to visit Anderson's bakery for a fresh loaf of sandwich bread. As I pass the many cafes on my way, I'm always hearing snippets of conversations. Mostly I listen for the accents, and it's very Cockney. The shop that has anything you might need, except for food is halfway down, just across from F. Cooke's pie & mash. Try the jellied eels sometime, they're served hot with mash and are like a very nice, light white fish. The jelly melts when they're heated, so don't be afraid. The shop owners along the way are all quite chatty too.

I guess I just really like the feeling of this street being my local street, warts and all. They're all just getting on with their lives, there's not much posing (except for the group of boys outside one of the fried chicken shops). I've only seen a couple of fights on the street and I've been visiting several times a week for a year and half.

The market on Saturdays is good for fake versions of fancy handbags and questionable Top Shop clothing. For me, I prefer the street during the day during the workweek. But I realize that it won't be possible for many of you to visit then. If you ever do get the chance, have lunch at F. Cooke's then head to a cafe with outdoor seating for a cuppa to watch life go past.

No comments:

Post a Comment